Izzy's Armored Truck

Izzy's Armored Truck

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

I know why there are things I leave to him!

I do know why there are certain tasks that I leave up to Mr. Y.
Today I spent the better part of the afternoon trying to put together a lateral file cabinet.  It is very well made, but for the ease of storing and selling, the manufacturer makes them in pieces and boxes them in a cardboard box that weighs around 75lbs.   This was actually my second attempt at it.  The first time I attempted to do this there was a broken piece at the bottom of the box.  I boxed it back up and took it back to Office Depot where I purchased it.  They were nice enough to unload it out of my car and reload a different one in.  Once home, the hunting party took it out of the Jetta and brought it into the house for me. I mentally rolled up my sleeves and started in on the task.  Who would have thought there needed to be so many pieces.  There were 16 pages in this little book of directions. The only reason there are so many pieces is because they make these things out of particle board and you need lots of glue and screws and other pieces of particle board to put it together out of the box.  Sure I could have paid more for the guy to come out to my house and do it for me, but I needed to do this for myself.
Actually, I think I did OK until I was getting down to the end of the project.  I had the frame of the cabinet built and was getting to work on the drawers and sliders.  The drawers kicked my butt.  You need to be an octopus in order to put it together.  There are about three things that need to slide together at the same time and it wasn't happening.  I know I have all of my mental faculties together, but this was NOT working.  Finally after dinner I did what I didn't want to do.  I called my dad.  He's already been here for the day working on the forms in the backyard.  I hated to bug him, but this would never have gotten finished if I hadn't.
One of the first things he said was that the screws weren't tight enough.  He took my screwdriver and proceeded to tighten all of them up.  after about five minutes of helping me by holding certain pieces together so others could be properly fitted into place, he said the sweetest thing in the world to me.  He told me this would have been difficult for him to put together by himself and he understood why I called and asked for help.  I guess I really didn't do it myself after all.  With his help it took less than 45 minutes to finish.  Then of course, Bunny put her "babies" in the bottom drawer.  It appears to be an expensive toy box/office furniture.
Time to invest in a better screwdriver.

No comments: