Izzy's Armored Truck

Izzy's Armored Truck

Monday, February 28, 2011

The Power Of A 15 Minute Call

He called me.  You might not understand what a big deal this is, but trust me.  This is a BIG deal.
He's been gone since July.  There are Army wives whose husbands have longer deployments ahead of them, but it seems like a really long time to me.
He called.  I feel like a weight has been lifted.  It was considered a "Morale Call".  We had 15 minutes free to talk.  At the 13 minute mark there was a taped male voice that said "You have two minutes remaining".  We said our goodbyes. Neither wanting to let go.  He needed to sleep.
We were able to talk for 15 minutes.  I'm OK now.
I go through this every time.  It's almost like a mini-roler-coaster ride.  Here is how it feels to me:
(Picture the ascent up) He calls, reassuring me that it's all OK.  Thus begins the journey up.  I'm OK at the bottom of the hill as we climb.  As we get more distance from the last phone call or e-mail, there is a build of stress.  Finally I'm at the top and not sure I can take another day of not hearing from him and he calls.  Thus begins the descent.  I'm good and I can get through it OK.  Then, after not receiving any communication, we begin the ascent again.  The next communication received is an email and the descent begins again. It's just worry over what we have no control over and fear of worst case scenarios.
Thus goes this ride over and over.
There is an end.  He'll come home.  This will have it's own set of anxieties with it as well.  We'll talk about this in the coming weeks.  There is a dance involved (not like mythical fairies, but like a changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace).  All the wives and husbands do this dance.  I'm not ready yet.
For right now, I'm still on the comfortable ride back down.
I hope I hear from him again soon.

No comments: