Izzy's Armored Truck

Izzy's Armored Truck

Thursday, August 19, 2010

My Life Under Construction

When I think about it, nearly every form of my life is under construction of some type:
I'm in school and that's educational construction.
Building a garage - CONSTRUCTION
Raising a family - yep, you guessed it - MAJOR construction.
My spine trying to fuse with this cage in it - again construction.
Home repairs - construction again. - Maybe not in the major sense, but there is always something that needs repairing. Be it minor (the sensor light went out in the back yard again) or there is a pipe rusted out in the kitchen. (Thanks to my Dad for fixing that one!)
Today I was hoping for the end to one of the construction projects in my living room. About 2 years ago there was an accidental flood in the upstairs bathroom (when is it ever on purpose?). I tried getting it repaired under the insurance policy but our deductible was more than the cost of the actual repair AND that would have gone against my status as having "0" homeowner claims since 1997. I would hate to ruin a streak! ANYWAY -
I had Neil Kelly come out and take a look and give me an estimate and they were "johnny-on-the-spot" in getting it started. I had a drywall guy out there the same week and it the repair portion was completed before I could blink my eyes. The drywall mud needed to dry overnight before it could be painted. Well the next day before they were going to come out and paint, Sarah came down with a horrible infection and a fever. (She is the fouth of my little group and has never been a conventional kid. Right down to the fact that she is an IVF baby.) I had to call the painter that morning and explain that she was too sick and I couldn't have anyone in the house. He said he was going to be on vacation the next week and asked if the following week would be OK to paint. Fine, just let me go take care of my sick kid!!! I ended up taking Sarah to the ER that day because she was so feverish she was delirious - and not in a good way! She couldn't even hold down the tylenol I used to get her fever down. We went to the ER and they took good care of us and we were out within 3 hours with meds prescribed. YAY!
Well, I've been looking at the repair wondering when (if ever) it would be completed. Today it was about 8:30 in the morning and the doorbell rang and can you believe I had forgotten this was the day? So, here I am at the computer trying to complete my BA131 homework and this guy is knocking at my door!HHRRMMPHH! I'm still in my jammies with no bra on or anything to cover myself for company. "Can you excuse me for a minute?" I ran down and changed and came back up and poured myself a cup of coffee and was making small-talk with the painter because there is no way on this earth that I could manage to concentrate on the access homework and get it completed.
He takes the paint that I have provided and starts to paint the living room wall and then, with a different color and a new roller, on to the ceiling. He's just going to blend it at this point. The paint looks OK going on, but something just isn't right... Mind you - This is the paint that I have provided and I thought that it was the right paint because it looks close (which only count in horse shoes and hand grenades!) Well - Now I need to buy more of the same paint that doesn't match so the painter can paint the whole ceiling.
Do you think the construction in my life will ever be complete? I doubt it. Construction = change, and change is good!

No comments: